4505 Alberta Avenue
El Paso, Texas 79905
Phone (915) 532-1447
Fax (915) 532-6630
Office of the Medical Examiner & Forensic Laboratory
- Never Shake a Baby!
- 50,000 children are injured each year as a result of shaking.
- A baby's head is large and the neck muscles are weak.
- Shaking can result in blindness, paralysis, learning disabilities, coma or death.
- Over 12,000 die each year.
- If you can't deal with a crying baby, try the following:
- Offer the baby a pacifier.
- Take the baby for a ride in the car or stroller.
- Call a friend, neighbor, co-worker to stay with the baby while you take a few minutes to yourself.
- Put the baby in a safe crib and close the door, check the baby frequently.
- Run the vacuum cleaner to drown out the crying--the noise may also sooth the baby.
- Strong Families, Strong Future