Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:30 pm
500 E. San Antonio
El Paso, Texas 79901
Phone (915) 546-2071
Fax (915) 546-2012 Main Office
Fax (915) 543-3806 Vitals Department (Vitals Request)
Fax (915) 543-3816 Cashier/Recording Department (CIQ filings)
El Paso County Clerk
- Assumed Names
- Assumed Names Search
- How do I file for an Assumed Name?
- Assumed names may be filed at the County Courthouse (map) or satellite offices.
- Step 1: Write down the name you plan to call your business. Write it exactly as you wish to see it; consider spaces, commas, periods, etc.
- Step 2: Search the County records for that exact name in either the Assumed Name Books or computer. If you did not find your company name in the filings (books or computer), proceed to Step 3.
- Step 3: Fill out the assumed name form, have it notarized and file it after paying the filing fee.
- How much does it cost to register an assumed name?
- Filing fee:
- $30.00 plus 50¢ for each additional registrant
- Withdrawal Fee:
- $24.00 and 50¢ for any additional registrant
- How do I search for an Assumed Name?
- You can search an assumed name via this website, or by Assumed Name Books and computer terminals available Vital Statistics offices.
- The County Clerk's does not conduct searches over the phone.
- Assumed names are indexed by business name and owner's name.
- Why must I register an Assumed Name?
- Each business in the County must file an Assumed Name Certificate (also known as "d.b.a." or "doing business as") with the County Clerk so a record of the business is available.
- Assumed name certificates are good for 10 years from date of filing the certificate.
- The clerk has no duty to notify a party of the expiration of a certificate.
- Withdrawals of a partner or abandonment of an assumed name are recorded also. Changes such as business name, address of business or registrants(partners), etc., must be filed within 60 days of the change.
- All registrants (partners, owners, etc.) must appear in person unless their signature(s) are notarized on the form.
- Read How to register
your business name in Texas for additional help and information.